Information for 2019 Booked Guests
IMPORTANT DATES, LOCATIONS, AND TIMES
Departure Date: Sunday, January 20th, 2019
Departure City: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Embarkation/Terminal: Check the midport pier signs for Nieuw Amsterdam Terminal
Ship: Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam
Terminal Doors Open: 10:30 a.m.
Boarding Commencement Time: 11:30 a.m.*
Mandatory Boarding Time: No later than 2:30 p.m.
Ship Departure Time: 5:00 p.m.
Return Date: Sunday, January 27th, 2019
Return Time: 7:00 a.m. (All times are EDT)
SAFE deadline: November 30, 2018 Only applicable if you require special assistance and haven’t previously discussed your needs with a sales agent.
*Please carry all essential personal items (medications, passport, id, change of clothes if desired, etc.) with you when you board. Once you complete the boarding process, you can proceed directly to the ship.
ONLINE CHECK-IN AT HOLLAND AMERICA LINE
Complete your online check-in now at www.hollandamerica.com/onlinecheckin
We strongly recommend guests complete their check-in online to greatly speed up the boarding process in the terminal.
- Enter your Holland America Line Booking Number found in your emailed guest document. It is the 6-digit alpha-numeric character code. This code can also be found once you’re logged in to your StarVista LIVE account.
- Follow the instructions (please have your passport handy to complete this process). It will take about 10-15 minutes to fully complete your online check-in.
- Please remember to print the luggage tags. Do NOT apply to your luggage before your flight in case they rip or tear off your luggage enroute.
- Once you have completed check-in on the Holland America Line website, you can book spa appointments, indulgences and dinner reservations and shore excursions there.
- Deadline to check-in online is close of business January 16, 2019. If you miss the deadline, you may complete your check-in process in the Port Everglades terminal on January 20, 2019.
TRANSPORTATION FROM RIVERSIDE HOTEL TO THE PIER
For guests that are booked at the Riverside Hotel, for just $19 per person, your luggage will be loaded at the hotel and delivered to the terminal. Please make sure your bags are properly tagged and loaded onto the bus before you board. To purchase this service simply log in to your StarVista LIVE account and add Hotel Transfer to Cruise Pier to your reservation or at the Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale from the transportation company (Elect Travel).
This service is only offered from the Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale.
Transfers are not included in the cost of the hotel and will be charged to the credit card on file connected to your StarVista LIVE account.
TRANSPORTATION FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE PIER
Suggested ground transportation options to get you to/from Port Everglades terminal
- Holland America Line shuttle service ($19/person from Fort Lauderdale and $27/person from Miami, each way). Please call Holland America Line at 866-929-2332 to make these reservations.
- Taxi from Fort Lauderdale Airport (approximately $25)
- Taxi from Miami Airport (approximately $85)
It is your responsibility to arrive at the ship in time for the departure and to secure your transportation at the end of our cruise.
LONG TERM PARKING AT THE PIER
Port Everglades offers on-site covered parking for $15 per day. Please follow the signs to the midport garage.
Handicap parking is complimentary only if there are ADA modifications done to the vehicle such as: hand controls, extended pedals, wheelchair ramp, etc. Also, 100% Disabled Veterans with ADA license placard will receive complimentary parking.
For more information go to http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/
PREMIER CRUISE PARKING
Self-uncovered parking with free shuttle to cruise ship terminal. Call 800-435-3195 and use rate code STC19 to get a special rate of $9.50 per day. This also includes a courtesy round-trip shuttle to the cruise terminal. Reservations must be made 14 days prior to departure date to get the special Soul Train Cruise rate.
BOARDING THE SHIP
Boarding will commence at 11:30 a.m. Please carry all essential personal items (medications, passport, ID, change of clothes if desired, etc.) with you when you board. Once you complete the boarding process, you can proceed directly to the ship. Lunch will be served in the Lido Market, Deck 9, starting around noon and you are free to tour the ship until the cabins are ready. Please keep in mind that the luggage delivery operations will run into the evening hours.
SOUL TRAIN CRUISE PROGRAMS
To help you better prepare for the Hippest Trip at Sea we are excited to announce that we will post some of our shows and event schedule on the Soul Train Cruise website in late December. We hope this enables you to better plan your spa appointments and dining around the events you want to attend. Check it regularly for any updates as we fine-tune our time at sea.
Here is a small example of the special events being planned for this year’s Soul Train Cruise:
- More Gospel Shows - Clifton Davis will guide our 3 gospel-focused events: A Praise & Worship Concert to honor Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.; A Tribute Concert to honor the Queen of Soul, Ms. Aretha Franklin; and A Gospel Service backed by Urban Guerrilla Orchestra
- More Comedy Nights -Three hilarious comedians for the Soul Train Cruise this year—TuRae, AJ Jamal and Kivi Rogers will be performing onboard and have you rolling in the aisles howling with laughter.
- Gameshows - We are bringing back our guest talent show Going, Going Gonged. So, if you have a hidden talent you want to share, start preparing now. Sign-up times will be announced aboard the ship. Please ensure that you have your own backing materials and tracks. Each participant will be allowed two minutes to perform. Other exciting new celebrity-interactive gameshows are being prepared too!
- 2019 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt Party - Join us on Monday with Al McKay’s All Stars performing the music of Earth, Wind & Fire for a high energy show. Wear your official 2019 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt to enjoy select complimentary soda, punch, beer and wine for one hour during the show.
- Renewal of Vows Ceremony - $55/couple. Unique to StarVista LIVE cruises, we offer a special, private celebrity-led renewal of vows ceremony for Soul Train Cruise guests celebrating an anniversary or those couples that just want to celebrate being in love. This special, private reception includes a professional photo with the celebrity officiant, wedding certificate, cake and champagne toast. Availability is limited. To reserve your spot, service simply log in to your StarVista LIVE account and add to your reservation or stop by the Soul Train Hospitality Desk on Deck 1 Midship. This cost will be added to your shipboard account.
- Don Cornelius Foundation Wine Tasting - Join Tony Cornelius and his celebrity guest Marshall Thompson of The Chi-Lites for a wine tasting and soul food pairing in the Dining Room, Deck 2. For just $39.99, you will enjoy this knowledgeable and fun hour learning about wine and soul food pairings from the Holland America Line Sommelier. A portion of the proceeds collected support the Don Cornelius Foundation. Availability is limited. To reserve your spot, service simply log in to your StarVista LIVE account and add to your reservation or stop by the Soul Train Hospitality Desk on Deck 1 Midship. This cost will be added to your shipboard account.
- Pool Deck Parties - We've heard you! This year, in an effort to make the pool deck daytime and nighttime parties bigger and better than ever before, we'll be covering the Lido midship pool for the entire cruise. This move will allow us to create a bigger stage for our performers and, more importantly, extra space for dancing. For those of you who like relaxing in the pool, not to worry, there is still a beautiful Sea View pool on the aft deck for you to enjoy.
SOUL TRAIN CRUISE ATTIRE
The overall dress for the cruise is “smart casual”.
Daytime attire is not subject to limitations, so guests may dress in appropriate and tasteful clothing of their choosing. Coverups and footwear are required in all venues and dining areas.
Evening attire is subject to the dress code for that evening. For six of the seven nights the evening dress code is “smart casual,” which means no shorts, tank tops or T-shirts in the main dining rooms or premium restaurants. Jeans are acceptable attire for the “smart casual” evenings. Our Dress to the Nines formal night is on Monday. Our nightly themes offer you a chance to dress up in theme-appropriate clothing-- Mardi Gras, White Night, Funk Night, Represent Night.
The 2019 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt will arrive to your cabin on Sunday night. It will be the size you requested at the time of booking. If the T-Shirt you received is the wrong size, please bring it to the Hospitality Desk and we will happily exchange it, pending availability. Our Hospitality Desk on Deck 1, midship will be open for exchanges on Monday before the T-shirt party only. Hours of operation will be posted onboard.
PARTIES AND LATE-NIGHT THEMES
The Soul Train Cruise will host a wide variety of gatherings and festive events. While it is not mandatory to dress in keeping with the themes, we do encourage you to have some fun and plan some outfits.
Sunday, January 20, Fort Lauderdale, Florida:
- Sail-Away Party - Join the Urban Guerilla Orchestra at the Lido Pool on Deck 9, Midship for fun and dancing as we get the cruise started when we depart from Ft. Lauderdale.
- Nightly Theme: Welcome to the 2019 Soul Train Cruise – No special outfits required. Get unpacked and settled in for the week ahead.
Monday, January 21, At Sea:
- Annual T-Shirt Party – The official kickoff party of every Soul Train Cruise! Great live music. Enjoy free punch, beer and wine at the Lido Pool, 9 midship when you come dressed in your 2019 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt.
- Nightly Theme: Dress to The Nines – Tonight we want to see you in your best formal attire - gowns and tuxedos, top hats and sequins - show us your best self!
Tuesday, January 22, Amber Cove:
- Nightly Theme: Mardi Gras - Beads, boas, sliders, masks and costumes – Let the Good Times Roll! Get Creative in green, gold and purple – we encourage everyone to participate!
Wednesday, January 23, San Juan:
- Nightly Theme: White Night - A Soul Train Cruise favorite! We can’t wait to see you in your finest white attire for a night of dancing and fun with Smokey Robinson.
Thursday, January 24, At Sea:
- Nightly Theme: Funk Night - Put on your boogie shoes, it’s time to get down tonight!
Friday, January 25, At Sea:
- Nightly Theme: Represent Night – It’s that easy… Throw on your favorite sports jersey, college gear or a little home town spirit and represent.
Saturday, January 26, Half Moon Cay:
- Theme: Farewell Night - A celebration of the bittersweet feelings for the last night of a wonderful cruise. Wear whatever is still clean.
MUSIC AND EVENT VENUES
B.B. King’s Blues Club, Billboard Onboard, EXC/Crow’s Nest, Lido Pool, Explorer’s Lounge and Ocean Bar Performances
You will not need to present your Stateroom Key Card at the entrance to these venues as none of these shows are color-coded and are open general admission.
Seats are not assigned and can be selected on a first-come first-served basis.
Guests are advised to come with their entire party as we don’t allow the saving of seats.
PREMIUM DINING OPTIONS
Reservations are recommended and can easily be made through the Holland America Line website once you check in online or from your stateroom once on board.
- PINNACLE GRILL This intimate, reservations-only, specialty venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience for lunch on sea days and dinner nightly. Enjoy dishes inspired by America’s Pacific Northwest. Complement your meal with a selection of boutique wines from the Pacific Northwest and other celebrated vineyards around the world. $10 for lunch at sea; closed for lunch while in port. $39 for dinner. Deck 2
- TAMARIND RESTAURANT Menus created by Master Chef Rudi Sodamin feature dishes honoring the elements of water, wood, fire and earth. Praised by Condé Nast Traveler for cuisine “that rivals the top restaurants on land.” $25 for dinner. Deck 11
- CANALETTO RESTAURANT This authentic Italian restaurant offers a menu that celebrates spartire (Italian for “sharing”). Buon appetito! $15 for dinner. Deck 9
MAIN DINING ROOM INCLUDED IN CRUISE FARE
- Your Stateroom Key Card will either be ORANGE (early dinner seating) or BLUE (late dinner seating).
- Early dining begins at 6:00 p.m. and late dining begins at 8:30 p.m.
- As both dinner seatings are completely full, we will be unable to accommodate any requests to switch your dining time.
- Guests who previously made table requests with our office will receive a letter in their staterooms on embarkation day with the assigned table number. These guests should enter the Upper Dining Room on Deck 3.
- All other seating will be open, meaning that once guests have their full party together, they should proceed to the Lower Dining Room on Deck 2 to be seated.
- In the spirit of the Soul Train Cruise, guests with smaller parties may be seated with other guests.
OTHER DINING OPTIONS INCLUDED IN CRUISE FARE
- Lido Market A modern marketplace with different themed stations, Lido Market provides a fresh approach to casual dining for breakfast, lunch or dinner and offers a curated selection of delicious options to grab on the go or to have quickly made to order. Deck 9
- Dive-In Dive into a grilled burger on brioche or a Nathan’s Famous gourmet hot dog. Or, enjoy a grilled chicken breast sandwich and vegetarian-friendly portobello mushroom stack. Deck 9
- New York Pizza Crisp Italian salads and personal pan pizzas made with a thin crust and sauce so savory it does New York– style pizza proud. Deck 9
- 24-Hour In-Room Dining Sleep in and have breakfast delivered. Order a salad, sandwich or entrée any time. Dive-In can be ordered in-room for a $4.95 fee. Pinnacle Grill can be ordered in room. Additional fees may apply dependent on selection ordered.
- Light Bites There’s always a “little something” being served on board. Tea is offered every afternoon when in port in the Ocean Bar, afternoon ice cream treats in the Lido Market, hors d’oeuvres stations near late-evening venues and snacks available late into the night.
BAR SERVICE OFFERINGS
If you purchase before we sail, you save! Holland America Line offers alcohol and non-alcohol beverage packages. Please note: All guests in a stateroom must purchase the same package. If you are interested in purchasing a beverage package now, please contact Holland America Line at 1-800-541-1576.
- Pinnacle Bar A sophisticated aura lends itself beautifully to an evening spent enjoying innovative cocktails and lively conversation with your friends and fellow guests. Deck 2
- Music Walk Three exciting venues and bars: The Explorer’s Lounge, just outside the Main Dining Room; Billboard Onboard, rocking the casino area; the beautiful Gallery Bar with a menu created by a master mixologist; and the already popular B.B. King’s Blues Club. Deck 2
- Tamarind Bar Exotic cocktails and sake-tinis are served in the Asian ambiance, featuring wraparound ocean views. Deck 11
- Lido Bar Our Lido Bar will be poppin’ on this cruise. Located near the pool stage, this bar will be open all day and into the night as we have our nightly theme concerts by the Lido Pool. Deck 9
- Sea View Bar Located in the aft pool area, the Sea View Bar provides a quiet nook to recap all the fun of the cruise. Deck 9
- Explorations Café Bar Guests can enjoy their favorite espresso drinks provided by Torrefazione Italia while relaxing with the best views on board. Explore a wide array of audio and video programming or simply read the morning paper. Internet stations also provide free access to the New York Times online edition (wireless hot spots also available for those traveling with laptops). Deck 11
The Casino onboard Nieuw Amsterdam offers a variety of games for all levels. Enjoy complimentary lessons from dealers and tournaments for veteran players. Deck 2
- Table Games Play blackjack, roulette, craps (select ships), three-card poker, let it ride (select ships), Texas hold ’em and more.
- Slots From penny to five-dollar machines and multi-denomination games, plus video poker, there’s a game for you.
- Tournaments Join in the fun of a slot or blackjack tournament for that extra chance to win big.
THE GREENHOUSE SPA & SALON
The tranquil, Asian-inspired spa offers luxurious beauty salon and spa treatments, and features thermal pools, heated ceramic lounges and treatment rooms. Prices vary and subject to change. Deck 9. For more information and to book your appointments, visit the Holland America Line website
Examples include but not limited to:
- Ionithermie Slimming Treatment 50 minutes $159 | Course of 3 for $299
- Ionithermie Revitalizing Leg Therapy 45 minutes $79
- Lime & Ginger Body Massage 75 minutes $199 | 90 minutes $235
- Thai Herbal Poultice Massage 75 minutes $195
- Pro-Collagen Anti-Aging Facial 50 minutes $149
Take a class in the professionally staffed Fitness Center equipped with state-of-the-art cardio and weight machines, as well as classes in yoga, Pilates, indoor cycling and more. Fees vary. Deck 9
This spa-like Retreat offers guests the opportunity to relax and recharge without missing any of the pool events. Cabanas are beautifully furnished and stocked with amenities. Also includes a 20% discount on select spa services on port days. Contact Holland America at 1-800-541-1576 to reserve. Pricing is subject to change without notice. Deck 11
Capture your best moments with portrait and activity photo packages that will allow you to enjoy your cruise experience for years to come. Prices for packages vary and subject to change. Deck 3
Photo packages of pictures taken by ship staff are sold by the cruise line and are only available during the cruise; orders cannot be placed after we return. Candid photos taken by our StarVista LIVE photographers Trish and Jackie will be posted to the website approximately two months after disembarkation.
Once you have completed your online check-in, you can book excursions directly at Holland America Line. Choose your tour times, book tours and receive confirmation of your shore excursion reservations up until 5 days before sailing. Make your payment online and receive approximate tour departure times. Reservations made online receive priority handling and are processed prior to requests made on board. We recommend booking as early as possible because many of the popular excursions sell out quickly.
Amber Cove, Dominican Republic:
Panoramic Puerto Plata (2 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Easy | Adult $29.95
Puerto Plata's historical importance derives from its role in the first decade following the discovery of the Americas. Departing from the pier, you will pass some of the most important landmarks of Puerto Plata. You will see the San Felipe Cathedral, Plaza Independencia (the former central park), and to a visit to a local souvenir shop. On a panoramic drive along the malecón (waterfront) you will see the statue of Neptune rising from the ocean, watch for the San Felipe Fortress, built in 1564 to protect the city from pirate activity.
Discover Puerto Plata: Flavors & Traditions (5 ¾ Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $59.95
Pass the most famous landmarks of Puerto Plata with a drive along the malecón (waterfront) to see the San Felipe Fortress, built in 1564, San Felipe Cathedral and Independence Square. At Hacienda Atalaya, walk along pathway through plantations of different kind of local fruits -- cacao, pineapple, papaya, bananas, lemons, oranges, coconut and tamarind, as well as a variety of aromatic herbs plants. Learn about process of growing Dominican cacao, including the origin. Before leaving the ranch, enjoy a delicious drink made from Dominican cacao. Re-board your transportation and head to a typical Dominican lunch at a local restaurant with beautiful views of the ocean.
Waterfalls of Damajague: An Adrenalin-Fueled Adventure (4 Hours)
Activity level: Strenuous | Adult $64.95
The experience of a lifetime that thrillseekers will remember for the rest of their lives. The waterfalls of Rio de Damajagua may well be the Dominican Republic’s best-kept secret. A 40-minute hike through Damajagua National Park, starting at one of the breathtaking upper falls, cool down by jumping (or sliding!) into the fresh, sparkling pool of mountain water below the cascade. From there, you make your way down the river by hiking along paths, swimming through caverns, navigating rushing river canyons, and sliding along and down natural rock waterslides.
San Juan, Puerto Rico:
San Juan Highlights (2 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Easy | Adult $49.95
Puerto Rico, the Shining Star of the Caribbean, welcomes you with lovely panoramic views of the old and new city of San Juan. Board air-conditioned transportation and enjoy a narrated drive through the Old Town. Take advantage of the opportunity to stop and snap photos of a few of the historic landmarks built by the Spaniards between 1634 and 1771. These include the San Cristobal and El Morro Fortresses. Leaving the colonial city, you'll continue to New San Juan -- the modern city -- for a short stop at a beautiful beach. Enjoy a short stroll to add to your collection a few more memorable pictures of the island.
San Juan Old & New (2 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $54.95
Enjoy a guided panoramic drive through one of the most beautiful cities in the Caribbean, with its 17th-century architecture, cobblestone streets and historical buildings. You will have the opportunity to stroll on the grounds of San Cristobál Fortress. This UNESCO World Heritage Site was built in 1634 to protect the city from landside attacks. San Cristobál covers 27 acres, is the largest Spanish fort in the New World, and boasts an excellent view over Old San Juan and the sea. Re-board the coach and continue your guided tour to the New City. Return to Old San Juan and stop at Plaza Colón for some free time to spend shopping, taking enchanting pictures, and exploring the local surroundings before you return to the ship.
Casa Bacardi, Old San Juan & Fortress (4 Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $69.95
Board an air-conditioned coach for a 25-minute drive to Casa Bacardi, enjoy a welcome drink and learn the story behind the legendary Bacardi cocktails and the birth of the iconic bat logo, and view a section of the plant from one of the exhibit windows. Re-board your motor coach to continue on a panoramic drive, leaving the town of Cataño passing through the modern Condado District. In Old San Juan, you will travel alongside 17th-century architecture, with a stop for a self-guided visit to Fort San Cristobal—the largest fortification built by the Spaniards in the New World.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas:
Stingray Adventure (1 Hour)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $29.95
Enjoy an educational encounter with the southern stingrays that make their home at Half Moon Cay. A short tram ride brings you to Stingray Cove where you'll learn about the stingrays' behaviors, habitat, feeding and breeding. After a safety briefing, grab your snorkel gear and enter the wading area with your guide to touch the rays' silky wings and feed these amazing creatures. A safety net ensures that other marine life remains outside the area. Return to the Fort San Salvador Welcome Center by tram.
Glass Bottom Boat (1 Hour)
Activity level: Easy | Adult $39.95
Stay dry while exploring Half Moon Cay’s undersea world aboard a new, fully enclosed, air-conditioned, state of the art glass-bottom boat. This vessel is equipped with two viewing areas as well as an open-air top deck, perfect for soaking up the warm Caribbean sun. Cruise on the beautiful turquoise waters while hearing tales of the history of Half Moon Cay as told by your helpful crew. Through each viewing area, take a glimpse into the blue and become immersed in a sea garden of different species of corals such as elkhorn, staghorn, fire coral, and brain coral. Find and identify groupers, stingrays, sharks, angel fish, snapper and other marine life that calls this unspoiled reef home.
Snorkel by Boat (1 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $59.95
Travel by boat to a site off the coast of Half Moon Cay to snorkel from the boat in limpid waters that teem with gloriously colored fish and coral.
HOSPITALITY AND SALES AREAS
Our Hospitality Desk is located on Deck 1, midship across from the Front Office. Our Sales Office is located on Deck 3 in the Hudson Room. Hours will be listed in the Daily Programs delivered to your stateroom. Please stop by to say hello! It’s always great to put a face with a voice.
HOLLAND AMERICA LINE SMOKING POLICY
The smoking policy designates all interior space, including staterooms and casino, as non-smoking areas. This includes cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Electronic cigarettes are allowed in staterooms (because they do not leave any residual odor) but cannot be used in public areas. Anyone who violates the ban on smoking in the staterooms will be charged a $250 cleaning fee. No smoking of any kind will be permitted on stateroom balconies.
For guests who wish to smoke, there will be a designated area for smoking outside on Deck 9 Aft at the Sea View Bar and Pool. Clearly marked “Designated Smoking Area,” the area includes a sufficient number of ashtrays that are emptied regularly. Cigar and pipe smoking are permitted in the Designated Smoking Area.
Holland America Line reserves the right to modify the smoking policy on board or alter the locations where smoking is permissible at any time. Please refer to Holland America Line website for further information.
Other than drink and spa service charges, all tips for servers, cabin stewards, etc., have been pre-paid. However, please feel free to reward exemplary service with the internationally recognized sign of gratitude: “tipping.”
Holland America Line requires ALL guests to PRESENT A VALID PASSPORT from their country of origin at embarkation. There are no substitutes for this requirement. A valid passport is one that expires more than 6 months after the date the cruise disembarks. Since the date of disembarkation is January 27, 2019, all passports must be valid through July 27, 2019. Guests with non-US passports are responsible for obtaining whatever visas they need to disembark at all the ports of call.