Information for 2020 Booked Guests
TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION
We are excited that the 2020 Soul Train Cruise is almost here! Please review below:
IMPORTANT DATES, LOCATIONS, AND TIMES
Departure Date: Saturday, January 18th, 2020
Departure City: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Embarkation/Terminal: Port Everglades (Check the midport pier signs for Nieuw Amsterdam Terminal)
Ship: Holland America Line Nieuw Amsterdam
Terminal Doors Open: 10:30 a.m.
Boarding Commencement Time: 11:30 a.m.*
Mandatory Boarding Time: No later than 2:30 p.m.
Ship Departure Time: 5:00 p.m.
Return Date & Time: Saturday, January 25th, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. (All times are EST)
SAFE deadline: November 30, 2019 Only applicable if you require special assistance and haven’t previously discussed your needs with a sales agent.
*Please carry all essential personal items (medications, passport, id, change of clothes if desired, etc.) with you when you board. Once you complete the boarding process, you can proceed directly to the ship.
ONLINE CHECK-IN AT HOLLAND AMERICA LINE
Complete your online check-in now through Holland America Line. We strongly recommend guests complete their check-in online to greatly speed up the boarding process in the terminal.Please follow the below steps to check-in online now.
- Enter your Holland America Line Booking Number found in your emailed guest document. It is the 6-digit alpha-numeric character code. This code can also be found once you’re logged in to your StarVista LIVE account.
- Follow the instructions (please have your passport handy to complete this process). It will take about 10-15 minutes to fully complete your online check-in.
- Please remember to print the luggage tags. Do NOT apply to your luggage before your flight in case they rip or tear off your luggage enroute.
- Once you have completed check-in on the Holland America Line website, you can book spa appointments, indulgences and dinner reservations and shore excursions there.
- Deadline to check-in online is close of business January 15, 2020 (EST). If you miss the deadline, you may complete your check-in process in the Port Everglades terminal on January 18, 2020.
Holland America Line requires ALL guests to PRESENT A VALID PASSPORT BOOK from their country of origin at embarkation. There are no substitutes for this requirement. A valid passport book is one that expires more than 6 months after the date the cruise disembarks. Since the date of disembarkation is January 25, 2019, all passports must be valid through July 25, 2019. Guests with non-US passports are responsible for obtaining any visas they need to disembark at all the ports of call.
TRANSPORTATION FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE CRUISE TERMINAL
Suggested ground transportation options to get you to/from Port Everglades terminal
- Holland America Line shuttle service ($19/person from Fort Lauderdale and $29/person from Miami, each way). Please call Holland America Line at 866-929-2332 to make these reservations.
- Taxi from Fort Lauderdale Airport (approximately $25)
- Taxi from Miami Airport (approximately $85)
It is your responsibility to arrive at the ship in time for the departure and to secure your transportation at the end of our cruise.
TRANSPORTATION FROM HILTON MARINA HOTEL IN FORT LAUDERDALE TO THE CRUISE TERMINAL
For just $19 per person, we have private motor coach transportation available. You will need to bring your luggage down to the lobby and transportation helpers will assist you loading your luggage into box trucks at the hotel and delivered to the terminal. Please make sure your bags are properly tagged with Holland America luggage tags and loaded onto the box truck before you board the motor coach.
To purchase this service simply log in to your StarVista LIVE account and add Hotel Transfer to Cruise Pier to your reservation or at the Hilton Marina Hotel in Fort Lauderdale from the transportation company (Elect Travel).
This service is only offered from the Hilton Marina Hotel.
Transfers are not included in the cost of the hotel and will be charged to the credit card on file connected to your StarVista LIVE account. For information or assistance, call us at (844) 266-7685.
LONG TERM PARKING AT THE PIER
Port Everglades offers on-site covered parking for $15 per day. Please follow the signs to the midport garage.
Handicap parking is complimentary only if there are ADA modifications done to the vehicle such as: hand controls, extended pedals, wheelchair ramp, etc. Also, 100% Disabled Veterans with ADA license placard will receive complimentary parking.
For more information go to http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/
PREMIER CRUISE PARKING
Self-uncovered parking with free shuttle to cruise ship terminal.
Call 800-435-3195 and use rate code STC20 to get a special rate of $9.50 per day. This also includes a courtesy round-trip shuttle to the cruise terminal. Reservations must be made up to 14 days prior to departure date to get the special Soul Train Cruise rate.
BOARDING THE SHIP
Boarding will commence at 11:30 a.m. Please carry all essential personal items (medications, passport, ID, change of clothes if desired, etc.) with you when you board. Once you complete the boarding process, you can proceed directly to the ship. Lunch will be served in the Lido Market, Deck 9, starting around noon and you are free to tour the ship until the cabins are ready. Please keep in mind that the luggage delivery operations will run into the evening hours.
HOLLAND AMERICA LINE SMOKING POLICY
The smoking policy designates all interior space, including staterooms and casino, as non-smoking areas. This includes cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Electronic cigarettes are allowed in staterooms (because they do not leave any residual odor) but cannot be used in public areas. Anyone who violates the ban on smoking in the staterooms will be charged a $250 cleaning fee. No smoking of any kind will be permitted on stateroom balconies.
For guests who wish to smoke, there will be a designated area for smoking outside on Deck 9 Aft at the Sea View Bar and Pool. Clearly marked “Designated Smoking Area,” the area includes a sufficient number of ashtrays that are emptied regularly. Cigar and pipe smoking are permitted in the Designated Smoking Area.
Holland America Line reserves the right to modify the smoking policy on board or alter the locations where smoking is permissible at any time. Please refer to Holland America Line website for further information.
Other than drink and spa service charges, all tips for servers, cabin stewards, etc., have been pre-paid. However, please feel free to reward exemplary service with the internationally recognized sign of gratitude: “tipping.”
HOSPITALITY AND SALES AREAS
Our Hospitality Desk is located on Deck 1, midship across from Guest Services. Our Sales Office is located on Deck 3 in the Hudson Room. Hours will be listed in the Daily Programs delivered to your stateroom. Please stop by to say hello! It’s always great to put a face with a voice.
The 2020 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt will arrive to your cabin on Saturday night. It will be the size you requested at the time of booking. If the T-Shirt you received is the wrong size, please bring it to the Hospitality Desk and we will happily exchange it, pending availability. Our Hospitality Desk on Deck 1 Midship will be open for exchanges on Sunday before the T-shirt party only. Hours of operation will be posted onboard.
SOUL TRAIN CRUISE ATTIRE
The overall dress for the cruise is “smart casual”.
Daytime attire is not subject to limitations, so guests may dress in appropriate and tasteful clothing of their choosing. Coverups and footwear are required in all venues and dining areas.
Evening attire is subject to the dress code for that evening. For six of the seven nights the evening dress code is “smart casual,” which means no shorts, tank tops or T-shirts in the main dining rooms or premium restaurants. Jeans are acceptable attire for the “smart casual” evenings. Our Dress to Impress formal night is on Sunday. Our nightly themes offer you a chance to dress up in theme-appropriate clothing-- Mardi Gras, White Night, Funk Night, Represent Night.
SOUL TRAIN CRUISE PROGRAMS
To help you better prepare for The Hippest Trip at Sea we are excited to announce that we will post some of our shows and event schedule on the Soul Train Cruise website in late December. We hope this enables you to better plan your spa appointments and dining around the events you want to attend. Check it regularly for any updates as we fine-tune our time at sea.
Here is a small example of the special events being planned for this year’s Soul Train Cruise:
- Gospel Shows with the Urban Guerilla Orchestra. Clifton Davis will again serve as minster and host at A Soul Train Cruise Sunday Service with surprise performers; A Tribute Concert to honor Curtis Mayfield, the man whose music moved the Movement; and Gospel Service with surprise performers.
- 2020 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt Party - Join us on Sunday for a high energy show with the funk and jazz grooves of Brick. Wear your official 2020 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt to enjoy select complimentary soda, punch, beer and wine during the show.
- Comedy Nights. Two hilarious comedians for the Soul Train Cruise this year—Trenton Davis & Kevin Bozeman will be performing onboard and have you rolling in the aisles howling with laughter.
- Gameshows. We are bringing back our guest talent show Going, Going Gonged. So, if you have a hidden talent you want to share, start preparing now. Sign-up times will be announced aboard the ship. Please ensure that you have your own backing materials and tracks. Each participant will be allowed two minutes to perform. Other exciting new celebrity-interactive gameshows are being prepared too so brush up on your knowledge of lyrics and song titles!
- Renewal of Vows Ceremony - $55/couple. Unique to StarVista LIVE cruises, Clifton Davis will be back to celebrate love, anniversaries and blessed relationships during this special, private reception includes a professional photo with Clifton Davis, wedding certificate, slice of cake and champagne toast. Availability is limited. To reserve your spot, log in to your StarVista LIVE account and add to your reservation or stop by the Soul Train Hospitality Desk on Deck 1 Midship. This cost will be added to your shipboard account.
- Don Cornelius Foundation Wine Tasting - Join Tony Cornelius and his celebrity guest Lonnie Jordan from WAR for a wine tasting and soul food pairing in the Dining Room, Deck 2. For just $39.99, you will enjoy this knowledgeable and fun hour learning about wine and soul food pairings from the Holland America Line Sommelier. A portion of the proceeds collected support the Don Cornelius Foundation. Availability is limited. To reserve your spot, simply log in to your StarVista LIVE account and add to your reservation or stop by the Soul Train Hospitality Desk on Deck 1 Midship. This cost will be added to your shipboard account.
PARTIES AND LATE-NIGHT THEMES
The Soul Train Cruise will host a wide variety of gatherings and festive events. While it is not mandatory to dress in keeping with the themes, we do encourage you to have some fun and plan some outfits.
Saturday, January 18, Fort Lauderdale, Florida:
- Sail-Away Party – Join the Urban Guerilla Orchestra on the Lido Deck on Deck 9, Midship for fun and dancing as we get the cruise started when we depart from Ft. Lauderdale.
- Nightly Theme: Welcome to the 2020 Soul Train Cruise – No special outfits required. Get unpacked and settled in for the week ahead.
Sunday, January 19, At Sea:
- Annual T-Shirt Party – The official kickoff party of every Soul Train Cruise! Great live music and selected complimentary drinks on the Lido Deck, 9 midship when you come dressed in your 2020 Soul Train Cruise T-Shirt.
- Nightly Theme: Dress to Impress – Tonight we want to see you in your best formal attire - gowns and tuxedos, top hats and sequins show us your best self!
Monday, January 20, At Sea:
- Nightly Theme: Represent Night – It’s that easy… Throw on your favorite sports jersey, college gear or a little home town spirit and represent.
Tuesday, January 21, St. Maarten:
- Nightly Theme: White Night – A Soul Train Cruise favorite! We can’t wait to see you in your finest white attire for a night of dancing and fun.
Wednesday, January 22, St. Croix:
- Nightly Theme: Funk Night – Put on your boogie shoes, it’s time to get down tonight!
Thursday, January 23, At Sea:
- Nightly Theme: Mardi Gras – Beads, boas, masks and costumes – Let the Good Times Roll! Get Creative in green, gold and purple – we encourage everyone to participate!
Friday, January 24, Half Moon Cay:
- Theme: Farewell Night – A celebration of the bittersweet feelings for the last night of a wonderful cruise. Wear whatever is still clean.
THE MAINSTAGE PERFORMANCES
Every guest will have the opportunity to see a nightly show based upon the designated show time.
To ensure that the entry and seating procedure is both fair and easy, we have adopted the following policies and procedures:
- You must present your Stateroom Key Card to the ushers at the entrance to enter The Mainstage for the appropriate show time.
- There are four entrances to The Mainstage, two on Deck 2 and two on Deck 3. No other entrance is available for guests.
- Doors will open for each show approximately 30 minutes before scheduled show time. Seats are not assigned and can be selected on a first-come first-served basis.
- Guests are advised to come to the theater with their entire party as we don’t allow the saving of seats.
- Guests who interfere with the fair and safe entry into The Mainstage may risk forfeiting their rights to attend that show or other shows. Our goal is to provide the best entertainment experience for all our guests, and we request that you treat all guests and staff with respect. Any behavior that disrupts the enjoyment of other guests will result in removal from the show by security staff.
- The taking of flash photos and the recording of the shows violates our contracts with the performers. Since it is impossible to easily discern what type of equipment can record, no electronic equipment of any kind will be allowed in The Mainstage during shows.
MAIN DINING ROOM INCLUDED IN CRUISE FARE
- Early dining begins at 6:00 p.m. and late dining begins at 8:30 p.m.
- As both dinner seatings are completely full, we will be unable to accommodate any requests to switch your dining time.
- Guests who previously made table requests with our office will receive a letter in their staterooms on embarkation day with the assigned table number. These guests should enter the Upper Dining Room on Deck 3.
- All other seating will be open, meaning that once guests have their full party together, they should proceed to the Lower Dining Room on Deck 2 to be seated.
- In the spirit of the Soul Train Cruise, guests with smaller parties may be seated with other guests.
OTHER DINING OPTIONS INCLUDED IN CRUISE FARE
- Please visit the Holland America Line website to view the Casual Dining (included in fare) and Fine Dining (additional cost) options on board. Click “The Experience”
- Reservations for Fine Dining (additional cost) are recommended and can easily be made through the Holland America Line website once you complete your Online Check-in or from your stateroom.
- Click “Already Booked” and login with My Account.
BAR SERVICE OFFERINGS
Special Beverage Packages
If you purchase before we sail, you save! Holland America Line offers alcohol and non-alcohol beverage packages.
Please note: All guests in a stateroom must purchase the same package. If you are interested in purchasing a beverage package now, please contact Holland America Line at 800-541-1576. Please visit the Holland America Line website to view the available bars and lounges on board the Nieuw Amsterdam. Click “The Experience” then go to “Activities”
ACTIVITIES ON BOARD
The Casino onboard Nieuw Amsterdam offers a variety of games for all levels, complimentary lessons from dealers, and tournaments for veteran players.
The Greenhouse Spa & Salon offers a luxurious beauty salon and spa treatments, and features a thermal pool, heated ceramic lounges, steam grottos and treatment rooms. Fees vary
The Fitness Center is equipped with state-of-the-art cardio and weight machines, and offers classes in yoga, Pilates, indoor cycling and more. Fees for classes vary.
Please visit the Holland America Line website to view some of the onboard activities offered during your cruise. Click “The Experience”
Once you have completed your online check-in, you can book excursions directly at Holland America Line. Click “Already Booked” and login with My Account.
Choose your tour times, book tours and receive confirmation of your shore excursion reservations up until three days before sailing. Make your payment online and receive approximate tour departure times. Reservations made online receive priority handling and are processed prior to requests made on board. We recommend booking as early as possible because many of the popular excursions sell out quickly.
Holland America offers “Our Best Price Guarantee” which ensures you can book shore excursions with total confidence. Find a better price on any tour they offer and they’ll refund you 110 percent of the price difference in the form of an onboard credit.
Worry-free return to the ship. In the very rare event that your tour is late and the ship must leave, we will arrange at our expense to get you to the next port of call. With independently booked tours, you are responsible for rejoining the ship at the next port of call.
Please take a look at a sampling of Shore Excursions offered by Holland America. For details and more Shore Excursions to choose from please click here.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten:
Under Two flags Island Drive (2 Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $29.95
Board a modern, air-conditioned motorcoach to enjoy the charm and romance of this scenic island, that has been shared by Holland and France since 1648. You will travel past the once-great salt pond and up Mount William Hill for a beautiful view of the Dutch capital and harbor. Continue through the countryside towards the Dutch/French border. Take in a spectacular view of Orient Beach, nearby Pinel Island, and St Barth's and pass lovely beaches and typical, tranquil Caribbean villages.
Your first stop will be at Marigot, the French capital, where you will have 45 minutes of free time to browse at the outdoor food market, visit inviting sidewalk cafés, or shop at an array of duty-free shops. As you journey through Cole Bay, stop at the International Look Out Point, where you will capture the magnificent view of the western side of the island. Your tour ends back in Philipsburg.
Beach Break & Lunch (4 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Easy | Adult $64.95
Caribbean beaches are legendary and are a favorite among seekers of sun and sand. Travel by air-conditioned transportation to an authentic, laid-back beach on the Dutch side of St Maarten. All beaches are public here, so feel free to roam and enjoy the magnificent sand stretching far away. This is not a resort -- it is just a local, down-to-earth Caribbean beach. Let the worries of everyday life wash away. The sea is warm and could be addictive. Enjoy a barbecue lunch and unlimited rum punch or fruit punch refreshments. After approximately three hours of fun and relaxation, return to Philipsburg and the ship. Guests who wish to stay in town to shop or explore independently are welcome to do so, but must make their own way back to the ship.
Flavors of St. Maarten: In Partnership with Food & Wine Magazine (4 Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $109.95
The culinary capital of the West Indies awaits you -- a Caribbean island with two very different personalities and different foodie finds. Traveling by air-conditioned van, with an expert foodie guide, you'll explore the hidden gems of this 37-square-mile island ringed with white-sand beaches. As you sample progressive tastings, savor panoramic views and learn about the history and culture of the island, which has been shared by two countries and two distinct cultures since the 1600s. You will head to a beautiful beach restaurant to sample Creole French fusion dishes with a cocktail in hand. You'll try barbecue and local specialties, such as johnny-cakes, at an authentic lolo -- a restaurant frequented by visitors and islanders alike.
Frederiksted, St. Croix
A Stroll Through Frederiksted (2 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $49.95
Of all three towns in the US Virgin Islands, the history of Frederiksted is arguably the most remarkable. Enjoy a walking tour that reveals the history of the town while showcasing the magnificent waterfront. Wind your way through the wide avenues of Frederiksted, from Strand Street to Customs House Street, then on to Prince Street where the Old Danish School and St Patrick’s Church stand. Step inside historic Fort Frederik and the Caribbean Museum. Docents will highlight the important architectural and design elements of the historic buildings that reflect the Danish Colonial and African influences of the builders. Hear about the history of the families who own and occupy the buildings, and the historic uses of the buildings themselves. See Victorian townhouses and historic churches as you stroll to King Cross Street, ending up at the Strand Street Park, outside the mall on the waterfront.
Frederiksted Catamaran Sail & Beach Break (3 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $89.95
The captain and crew of the Jolly Mon will escort you to this custom-built, 63-foot classic sailing catamaran. Let the crew spoil you as you sail for one hour along St Croix’s west end beaches and veiw Sandy Point from the distance -- one of the largest bird and turtle sanctuaries in the Caribbean. Listen to great music while you relax on one of the most spacious catamarans in the Caribbean. Soft drinks, water, rum punch, and other rum drinks are offered. At Rainbow Beach, you may have to swim the short distance from the boat to the beach. The crew is ready to assist anyone that cannot swim with flotation devices and personal guidance. After approximately two hours of beach time enjoy the short ride back to your ship.
West End Highlights & Cruzan Rum (4 ¼ Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $89.95
History comes alive at the Estate Whim Museum as you walk among the original 18th-century buildings of this former sugar estate. The stately, authentically furnished Great House welcomes you with gracious guides waiting to tell you stories of past inhabitants and plantation life. Visit the wonderful 16-acre botanic gardens. These grounds have had many lives -- they were home to an Arawak Native Village from AD 100 to 900, a Danish sugar plantation from 1733 to 1917, a cattle ranch after 1930, and the gardens from 1972 until the present. Stop at the island’s oldest distillery where the world-famous Cruzan Rum has been produced for 300 years. Learn how the rum voted "best in the world" is made, as a guide points out the different Pavilions and explains the process of how the rum is made. Look down into huge open vats of fragrant, boiling brew. Adults are invited to belly up to the bar and sample the many flavors of Cruzan Rum.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas:
Stingray Adventure (1 Hour)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $29.95
Enjoy an educational encounter with the southern stingrays that make their home at Half Moon Cay. A short tram ride brings you to Stingray Cove where you'll learn about the stingrays' behaviors, habitat, feeding and breeding. After a safety briefing, grab your snorkel gear and enter the wading area with your guide to touch the rays' silky wings and feed these amazing creatures. A safety net ensures that other marine life remains outside the area. Return to the Fort San Salvador Welcome Center by tram.
Glass Bottom Boat (1 Hour)
Activity level: Easy | Adult $39.95
Stay dry while exploring Half Moon Cay’s undersea world aboard a new, fully enclosed, air-conditioned, state of the art glass-bottom boat. This vessel is equipped with two viewing areas as well as an open-air top deck, perfect for soaking up the warm Caribbean sun. Cruise on the beautiful turquoise waters while hearing tales of the history of Half Moon Cay as told by your helpful crew. Through each viewing area, take a glimpse into the blue and become immersed in a sea garden of different species of corals such as elkhorn, staghorn, fire coral, and brain coral. Find and identify groupers, stingrays, sharks, angel fish, snapper and other marine life that calls this unspoiled reef home.
Snorkel by Boat (1 ½ Hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $59.95
Travel by boat to a site off the coast of Half Moon Cay to snorkel from the boat in limpid waters that teem with gloriously colored fish and coral.